Make this delicious real food taco salad recipe!
When I shared my homemade, real food French dressing recipe, I confessed that I don’t even like French dressing. However, I do eat it and love it in my homemade, real food taco salad.
This recipe is so versatile and healthy. Customize it to your family’s preferences and enjoy!
Note: The recipe calls for a pound of ground beef. One of the ways our family saves money is by using 1/2 a pound of meat in recipes that call for a whole pound of meat. When I make this recipe, I brown and season a pound of ground beef, then set aside half of the meat for a future meal. Your family won’t even notice that there isn’t much meat in the salad and you will stretch those valuable food-budget dollars.
Another Note: If you plan on having this as leftovers, don’t stir the chips and avocado into the mixture, just add them on top of each serving. The chips will get soggy and the avocado may brown if you try to mix them into the whole recipe and then save it for another day.
Link for the homemade, real food French dressing: http://simplelifeabundantlife.com/2015/05/06/homemade-real-food-french-dressing/
Real Food Taco Salad
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 TB chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup water
- 1 small head romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (we like sharp)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (I usually just quarter a bunch of cherry tomatoes)
- ½ cup chopped olives
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 avocado peeled and cubed
- (optional) 1 small bag of organic corn chips crushed (we use Trader Joe's corn dippers)
- 1.5 - 2 cups of homemade french dressing (see recipe linked above)
- Brown the ground beef. When it is almost brown, add the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Add the water to the skillet and stir, continue to simmer the meat and spices until most of the water has evaporated. You now have your taco meat. If you want, set aside half for a future meal.
- Toss together the lettuce, meat, beans, cheese, tomatoes, bell pepper, and olives. If you are planning to have leftovers, don't stir in the avocado and chips - just leave them on the side. If you plan on the whole meal getting eaten up in one sitting, then go ahead and throw it all in there.
- Stir in the homemade French dressing until everything is well combined.